Saturday, April 2, 2011

Somewhere near Henderson , NC


 One woman I remember being friends with while stationed at Cherry Point, Kathy Hudson. She was the epitome of a southern belle with her y'alls and honey childs, so perfectly poised and prim, just like her mama taught her. But don't let them fool you, they have their wild sides when the mood dictates. Southern woman are in a category of their own.
Kathy chose Cherry Point because it was close to where she grew up. One weekend, she invited me to go home with her. The thing I remember about the drive was the song "I love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett being played over and over again, cruising some back country roads on a warm day.  The house she grew up in was so charming. It sat back in the woods, on top of a hill. It was quiet and welcoming. There was a small barn with a couple of cows, pigs and a lot of goats. Her parents were charming, generous and loved having us to dote over.
Another vivid memory of that weekend was how her mom woke us up for breakfast. I opened my eyes to a tiny baby goat sniffing my face. His coat was soft and his cries were sweet. 
I found this rock, a Henderson Gneiss, somewhere in Henderson. It's usually not found in this part of North Carolina. There is an Henderson Mountain, a little further west where it's very prominent. But I thought it was a good find for my trip to Henderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment