Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Misquamicut, Rhode Island


The summer of 1978 was pretty memorable. One week after I returned from England, I was off camping for a week  to the resort area, Misquamicut Beach in Rhode Island with my friend Jeanne. Her family owned a camper which her father hauled behind his station wagon. I've always enjoyed the camping experience and staying by the ocean, even better. During this vacation, we saw Grease in the theater, played mini golf, giggled around boys, and spent a lot of time on the beach. Along with the the title "rock collector", you could add "shell seeker". To this day, I can spend hours looking for treasures that the tide has brought. Rhode Island is famous for the Quahog shell or basically the hard clam. The pieces I picked up were once again ancient. The clams that occupied these monster homes could feed a family of four. The edges have been worn smooth by time to the point you can see many layers, many years traveling the bottom of the ocean until the ocean released them into my eager hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment