Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Newport, Rhode Island

My time in Puerto Rico came to an end, sadly. Before reporting to my next duty station, I headed home to Massachusetts on leave. While there, I had a day trip down to the Naval Base in Newport, Rhode Island. For all the people who like me, salt water runs in their veins, the ocean and the beach are at its best in the middle of winter. My love of the sea comes from a long line of relatives. It's one of the main reasons I joined the Navy. I knew I would always be close to the beach.
Newport is famous for its mansions, the yacht race, and old money. It offers plenty of restaurants and shopping. I took the tour of the mansions during a field trip in high school. But this time, I walked the trail that follows the rocky coast. It's called the Cliff Walk. On a day that was cloudy, cold but not freezing, no wind, it was perfect. Or maybe the word is invigorating. The salt air was heavy, smelled wonderful. This kind of rock was everywhere. After I brought it home, I found out it was the Rhode Island state rock, cumberlandite.

No comments:

Post a Comment